Monday, December 31, 2012

My Resolutions For 2014 (You Can't Rush These Things)


I have made my list of resolutions for the year 2014, because, frankly, you can’t rush these things. How many times have I sat down and seriously considered what things I want to change, and then come up with a concrete plan on how I was going to accomplish these things?

Quite honestly? Never. I mostly think of things on the spot when someone asks me that “best-of-all small talk questions” for this time of year. I’ll say something like “I’m going to learn Japanese and Swahili simultaneously and try to get a little more exercise at the same time. In fact I have lessons for both languages on my iPod and I’m going to walk five miles each morning while reciting the Swahili and Japanese alphabets and in a few months I’ll have both languages down cold and be thin as a rake to boot!”

Last year I got up early and exercised on January 2nd and January 3rd, then something happened (I think I hurt my knee somehow) and then it was all over for the year. Two glorious days of exercise, days where I felt more alive and was more pleasant to be around, (grouchiness and winter go hand in hand for me) and then it was all over.

To be sure I got out and had a pretty active summer and have had a few early mornings since then, but I was out of the New Year’s resolution game in record time. So it’s easy to become discouraged and cynical about making life changes when there have been so many crashes and burns in the years before. And I know I’m not alone in this. I would hazard a guess that most Americans view New Year’s resolutions with a sort of winking eye philosophy; they’re fun to talk about, but come on, who really takes these things seriously. There mostly fodder for small talk (just like their Christmas cousin, “have you got your shopping done yet?”) and mostly a really good, really impractical idea.

There is also a growing wave of well intentioned propaganda that says “you are just fine the way you are. You should accept yourself and not worry about changing anything. You are just fine!”

But the reality is this dear reader; you have things that need to change. I have things that need to change. Miss Universe (isn’t she from Sri Lanka this year?) has things that she needs to change. If you think that you don’t have anything that needs to change or improve then go ask a close friend or a trusted relative (not an Elvis Presley like “yes man“) if there is anything about yourself that needs to change. Then listen to the answer.

If the answer makes you a little uncomfortable or a bit defensive then good. You are on to something.

But discouragement is easy. Hopelessness is not hard to come by. Despair or disbelief that change is possible is as common as a head cold. (I should know, I’ve had two in the last month).

So here is the secret code. Are you ready? Do you have a pen and paper handy? Good.

Plan big and shoot small. Plan big and shoot small. (Things sound more impressive if you repeat them twice.)

Plan big: If a change is warranted or desired then a plan on how to execute that change is as important as any ounce of will power or the most expensive home gym that you can find. Without a plan it all goes kabloowy.

But I always plan for too big a change. It’s mostly impossible to learn a language in a year without being immersed in the culture of that language and most of us can’t become Olympic level athlete in just a few months. It seems to me that any change that has happened successfully in my life happened by small degrees. Most of us think of making a life change as if we are jumping off a diving board, but it’s more like taking a hike. You do it by degrees, taking in the view every once in a while and stopping for water breaks often.

But at some point you look back at where you have come from and the view behind you is startling. You were wondering if you were getting anywhere at all and when you look back you see just how far you have come. But it came small step by small step, inch by inch.

So instead of trying to lose fifty pounds and run five miles a day shoot for fifteen pounds and walking a mile a day. It’s much more manageable and frankly, more likely to happen.

And don’t get discouraged with a few setbacks, just keep moving. Make a plan, write down a concrete schedule for yourself and carry it around with you. It’s only over the day you give up completely. Remember, plan big and shoot small. I’m no expert, and man o man do I have some things that I need to change, but we’re all in this thing together and I’m pulling for you.

Plan big and shoot small. Plan big and shoot small.

I really should have some t-shirts made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment